LL-L "Idiomatica" 2012.02.18 (01) [EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Sat Feb 18 15:31:13 UTC 2012

 L O W L A N D S - L - 18 February 2012 - Volume 01
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Kevin & Cheryl Caldwell kevin.caldwell1963 at verizon.net
Subject: LL-L "Idiomatica" 2012.02.17 (03) [EN-NDS]

The American equivalent would be “nosy Nellie.”  Or possibly a “buttinsky”
(someone who is always butting into other people’s business or
conversations).

Kevin Caldwell
Laurel, MD

-----------

From: Marcus Buck list at marcusbuck.org
Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2012.02.17 (02) [EN]

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Subject: Phonology

Hi, Ingmar!

Btw your non Mennonite clip, is that from the US? I thought it was just
East Frisian, it sounds so much like Groningen Low Saxon.

I thought it is somewhere in the North American Midwest. Also, they mention
American businesses. I may be wrong, though, considering that just now I
heard them mention Aldi, a German grocery chain.

In the comments the uploader says that his grandparents stem from Vechta.
Aldi is a German chain by origin, but they also have more than 1000 stores
in the US now.

Marcus Buck

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com