LL-L "Idiomatica" 2012.02.17 (03) [EN-NDS]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Fri Feb 17 23:45:48 UTC 2012

 L O W L A N D S - L - 17 February 2012 - Volume 03
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Paul Anisman panisman at gmail.com
Subject: LL-L "Idiomatica" 2012.02.17 (01) [EN]

Checked with my daughter-in-law today....a London native.  She's well
familiar with the term "nosy parker", but says it's a bit old timey at this
point.  Says she'd more likely use "nosy bugger".  Her intuitive feeling as
to the origin of "parker" is that it's from the surname.

This is not meant to diminish in any way the significance of the topic of
this thread.  Simply a point of interest.

Paul
MD USA

-----------

From: Mike Morgan mwmbombay at gmail.com

Although I can't say I've heard it too often (but then, I am around Deaf
people and Indian Sign Language all the time so I am not around ANY spoken
language much), in Indian English, and also in Hindi, there is the word nakkoo
नक्कू /nakku:/ (Urdu نکو , but not sure it is used in the same sense),
which I take is a calque from English (and literally it means someone with
a big nose, बड़ी नाकवाला). It is used by the Bombay-cum-NRI writer Salman
Rushdie

"Aadam, the nakkoo, the nosey one, followed his pointing finger. 'I have
watched the mountains being born; I have seen Emperors die. "

It is also used (perhaps even more frequently) to mean snobby.

Another Indian English idiom with nosy is: nosy pencil. as in

"Teacher : (picking up Arun's pencil and measuring against her nose) Arun !
What is this? Nosy pencil! (pencil is thrown out of window). Get a nice,
long choop pencil tomorrow."
        (source of example: http://samosapedia.com/e/nosy%20pencil)

samosapedia,com, by the way, is thebest guide to Indian English idioms I've
coem across on the net...

PS in general though a person who would be called a nosy Parker in the UK
or a busybody in the US would be called normal in India ;-)

mwm || *U* C > || mike || мика  || माईक || マイク || மாய்க் (aka Dr Michael W
Morgan)
sign language linguist / linguistic typologist at large / "Have
language(s), will travel"

*"If one has no affection for a person or a system, one should feel free to
give the fullest expression to his disaffection so long as he does not
contemplate, promote, or incite violence." (MKG)
"You assist an unjust administration most effectively by obeying its orders
and decrees. An evil administration never deserves such allegiance.
Allegiance to it means partaking of the evil.* *A good person will resist
an evil system with his whole soul. Disobedience of the laws of an evil
state is therefore a duty." (MKG)*
been there, done that...

----------

From: Hannelore Hinz <hannehinz at t-online.de

Dat heff ick nienich ahnt...,

einen *nosy parker *: Topfgucker giwwt dat ok hiertauland'n.

*Topfgucker, *m., Pott(en)-/Püttenkieker/-snuver, pl. -s;
Kökenknecht [ǭ], m., pl. -en
Lit.: GÜNTER HARTE - JOHANNA HARTE

*Pöttenkiker *m. Küchenknecht, jem., der immer in der Küche liegt und in
die Töpfe guckt; dann auch einer, der seine Nase in alles steckt.
*Pottkiker, Pöttkenkiker, Püttenkiker, Putten-, -ö-, -ü-, Püttjenkieker.
*Vom Neugierigen: *dee het de Näs' in all' Frugens ehr Pött;
*sprw.: *lütt Pött kaakt licht œwer *(kleine Menschen geraten leicht in
Zorn). Satzform: *wat gifft 't tau äten? Hack un Plück un Krup-in-'n-Pott.
*Lit.: Perfesser Voßlo

... nu möt ik in mien Kœk un Pöttenkiker spälen, nah dat Mankkaaktäten
kieken, dat' nich anbrennt...

Best Gräuten.

Hanne

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com