LL-L "Etymology" 2012.02.24 (01) [EN-NL]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Fri Feb 24 19:21:33 UTC 2012

 L O W L A N D S - L - 24 February 2012 - Volume 01
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Luc Vanbrabant lucv32 at gmail.com
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2012.02.21 (01) [EN]

Dear Ron,

I looked upon the name in Dutch, and found another word in connection to 'Scots
*widdy*, Limburgish *wiej*, and German *Weide'*.
Nl: Wederik, from Middelnederlands 'Wede/weede' meaning *twig,  *from Latin
'vimen' (twig)

I found this on the website ( http://www.inl.nl/zoekresultaten?q=wede ):

1250-1550:
(weede, wee), znw. vr. Mnd. *wede*. Van den stam van weden, got. *widan*,
“binden” òf verwant met het germ. woord voor “wilg”, nl. hd. *weide*. Zie
wide en Kluge op weide, en vgl. lat. *vimen*, *vitis*.
 –1.  *Datgene waarmede men bindt*, *teen*, *twijg.* *Teuth.* eyn wijngarts
layde eynjairich off weede off teene die besteit to dorren, malleolus
(Dief.); roidekijn, gerdken, thene, weede, virgula, vimen; daer teenen off
weeden wassen, viminetum; eyne tene off weede off swaeck ruedeken groen,
vimen; wede, tene, stroe off bant dair men den wijngart myt opbyndt,
vitiligo. *Kil.* wede *vetus* virga *et* vimen (ook “et salix”, “wilg”, zie
weide en vgl. wide). *Plant.* wedeken, wisseken, *viorne ou verges d'osier
etc. à lier les vignes*, viburnum, vimen.

Groetjes,
Luc Vanbrabant
Oekene

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Phonology

Dear Lowlanders,

I wonder if you would join me in revisiting the Lowlands Germanic word
group represented by English "willow" (genus *Salix*), in part to examine
more data regarding metathesis.

*Salix*
Old English: *welig*
 Modern English: *willow*
Old Saxon: *wilgia*
Modern Low Saxon: *Wichel*
Middle Dutch: *wilghe*
Modern Dutch: *wilg*
Frisian (West): *wylch*
Frisian (East, Sater): *Wüülg*(*e*)-

Proto-Germanic: **walg-*

(This is distinct from the semantically identical word group represented
for instance by Scots *widdy*, Limburgish *wiej*, and German *Weide*.)

Two observations:

   1. The English forms show a shift from *-lig* to *-low*. The same shift
   can be observed in "bellow" and "fellow." At least at some point in time,
   Old English realized syllable-final *-g* as a fricative (probably as
   [ɣ]. This, in conjunction with preceding /l/, most probably lowered and
   rounded the vowel [ɪ] to [ɔ]. (The shift from fricativized *-g to -w* is
   not at all uncommon among the world's languages; e.g. Turkic *taɣ* > *taw
   *> *tow* 'mountain').
   2. The Saxon language must have developed the following forms ...
   **wilge *[ˈwɪɫɣə] >
   **wilg *[wɪɫɣ] (final devoicing/hardening) >
   **wilg *[wɪɫç] (final vowel deletion) >
   **wileg *[ˈwɪɫəç] (vowel insertion) >
   *Wichel * [ˈwɪçeɫ] (metathesis)

Are there any alternative proposals?

Thanks and regards!

Reinhard/Ron
 Seattle, USA

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Thanks, Luc! An excellent find!

It never even occurred to me to consider Latin as a source of *wijme* and *
Wiem(en)*.

Seattle, USA