LL-L "Idiomatica" 2012.01.12 (03) [DE-EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jan 13 04:45:02 UTC 2012

 L O W L A N D S - L - 12 January 2012 - Volume 03
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Hellinckx Luc luc.hellinckx at gmail.com
Subject: LL-L "Idiomatica"

Beste Gael,

An interesting take you're giving us. "'t Dörrep" means the center of town
here (opposed to "den buiten"...the outside). HIstorically this also meant
a very different legal status for those living within the limits of " 't
dörrep " and those beyond. People even had to go to different courts when
they actually committed the same sort of crime. In a way, you were more
free when you had a farm outside the city walls, but when you did something
wrong you had less protection as well.

Regarding grass...ah, grass again ;=). Of course, in connection with
reggae, it's a different sort of grass. To a high extent, I truly think
grass is quintessential for the Lowlands. So far, there is no satisfying
Indo-European etymology for the word, plus the area where it's used is
pretty limited...therefore it's thought to be a loan from a substrate
language. Wouldn't surprise me.

Kind greetings,

Luc Hellinckx, Halle, Belgium

----------

From: mike.keach at gmail.com
Subject: LL-L "Idiomatica" 2012.01.12 (01) [DE-EN-NDS]

Mark (I think) wrote:
" My question for you all is if there is a difference between the more
visible terms “rustic” and “boorish”.

Well, I think Mark was referring to the Dutch Boor. In English, Boorish
refers to a person that is pushy, heavy-handed, p'raps a bully. Rustic is
as he cited: uneducated, hayseed, earthy, et alia.

Boorish is a not-so-often used term these days. 'Twas popular from the 16th
- late 20th centuries. Just guessing that it stems from the singular
attitudes of feral pigs. [Here in Florida we deal with them yearly and they
are nasty and mean. AND: contrary to logic, are NOT good eating.].

Hope I'm not completely off base here. If so: Mea Culpa.

Alles beste, Mitanand!

~Mike [Keach] von Tampadorf
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

----------

From: M.-L. Lessing marless at gmx.de

Oh, ja, liebe Hanne, was wir vergessen haben: "Da wächst kein Gras mehr" =
"This site is totally destroyed" (site can be figuratively too).

Dear Gael, "dörp" means "village" in Platt. It is a noun, I never heard it
used as an adjective like in “*Is the pope **dörp*?”. But english is much
more liberal with using nouns as adjectives, so maybe you have just set a
new trend or a new idiom :-)

As to myself, I am dörp with all my heart!

Hartlich

Marlou

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com