LL-L "Language politics" 2012.05.31 (01) [EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Thu May 31 17:54:49 UTC 2012

 L O W L A N D S - L - 31 May 2012 - Volume 01
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Helge Tietz helgetietz at yahoo.com <hannehinz at t-online.de>
Subject: Shift from Dutch to German as language of instrcution at schools
in the Lower Rhine area

Dear Lowlanders,

I am researching at the moment on the shift from Dutch to Standart German
as the language of instrcution in the Lower Rhine area schools
(Kleve/Kleef, Gelderen, Viersen etc.) in the 19th centruy when Prussia
increased the pressure to eliminate all minority languages in its territory
for schooling. In 1887 and 1887 substantials laws were passed to
effectively prohibit the use of Polish, Danish, Lithuanian and French as
languages of instruction but those laws never mention the Dutch language
although, according to various resources, Dutch was still the language of
instruction in most schools in the Lower Rhine area. My questions are:

1. Does anyone have information of any laws passed concerning Dutch as a
language of instruction in the Lower Rhine area?
2. Does anyone have any information how the shift from Dutch to Standart
German occurred and possibly how it was enforced at the respective schools?

I somehow assume that Dutch was simply regarded as a kind of Low Saxon and
therefore regarded as a "dialect", and since "dialect" teaching was anyway
out of the question no laws needed to be particularily created for it.
There are also suggestions that the shift was enforced through the church
language shift because many schools were effectively run by the
roman-catholic church. Once they were forced by the resepctive bishop to
preach in Standart German only so did then change the language at the
schools. But it would be really of great value if anyone has more detailed
information or can sent me links or literature who may contain such
information.

Groeten vun
Helge

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com