LL-L "Etymology" 2012.10.03 (04) [EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Thu Oct 4 00:06:53 UTC 2012

 L O W L A N D S - L - 03 October 2012 - Volume 04
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Jacqueline Bungenberg de Jong Dutchmatters at comcast.net

Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2012.10.03 (01) [EN]

Hi Theo and Dick,

Theo, Your find on Wikipedia that Planken Wambuis is a euphemism for a
coffin comes as a big disillusion to me. I had been musing that maybe the
joint was so “gezellig” (D comfortable and cosy) that it felt like drinking
a few pints, wearing a warm comfortable wambuis in a cosy building made of
planks.  After a cold, hard life as a sailor, it may be a wish for warmer
stay in the afterlife.
Jacqueline BdJ