LL-L "Literature" 2012.10.08 (02) [EN-SC]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Mon Oct 8 21:38:00 UTC 2012

 L O W L A N D S - L - 08 October 2012 - Volume 02
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Sandy Fleming sandy at scotstext.org <andy at scots-online.org>
Subject: LL-L "Literature" 2012.10.07 (02) [EN-SC]

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Literature
>
> Sandy Fleming wrote:
>
> Renga as a game is very popular in some Deaf circles now, I was quite
>> astonished when I first saw it live:
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFq2o-y_yso
>>

> Thanks! I seem to understand only a fraction (perhaps wrongly too), but I
> can't get enough of watching it. I find it fascinating, beautiful, actually
> touching, perhaps mostly because of the "body language," especially the
> facial expressions.
>
> (BTW, does letting one's head slump to one's right side at the end mean
> "fall asleep" or "end of verse" or ...? ;-))

If you look at the first three signs in the video, when the man in the
glasses steps forward, you see him making air-quotes meaning that "the
title is..." then he signs "one, world". He then signs the sun rising over
the horizon. The last sign he signs before stepping back means "fall
asleep": see him signing "crescent moon" out of the window of the car he's
driving just before that. The head slumped over to the side means the head
is on the pillow: whether it means asleep or not depends on whether the
eyes are closed and the manner and facial expression. It's all fairly
mundane: the next man says "Asleep. Dream." and so on. Other signs you
might look out for is the hand going across the chest to place something
there or grip it and pull it off: this is pulling the bed covers over you
or pulling them off. The shaking hand, especially under the pillow, that
you frequently see here is a vibrating alarm clock or sometimes a mobile
phone that they've put under the pillow with the alarm set to vibrate. In
one case, you can see that it must be a phone because they take it out from
the pillow and do some two-thumbed texting with it; others you can see
doing one-thumbed texting and one-fingered texting. In the last verse, the
chap on the far right is asleep and someone is insistently tapping him on
the shoulder. He wakes up and jumps out of bed and pulls his trousers on
quickly. I hope that helps you to appreciate it a bit more  :)

> Thanks for sharing those Scots *haiku*, Sandy! I'm not sure I fully
> understand "Back at the lair --- Ah bend ma sabbin / til the Back End
> wund!" (I understand all the words, but not the overall thing.)

I hope I didn't give the impression that they were "mine" in any way:
they're all from the page originally linked to by Mike.

To tell the truth, I don't understand that "Back at the lair" one either  :)

What do you think, Sandy and others?

> The *kigo* (季語 "season word") very much depends on each geographical
> region and its season-based folkloristic tradition.
>
> I see what the kigo really is now. I was having a look over some of my own
haiku to see if I'd got this all wrong but I seem to be doing OK. I guess
learning by reading the old masters rather than understanding the rules can
work, then!

Sandy Fleming
http://scotstext.org/

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com