LL-L "Etymology" 2013.02.28 (01) [EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Thu Feb 28 16:31:45 UTC 2013

 L O W L A N D S - L - 28 February 2013 - Volume 01
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Joachim Kreimer-de Fries <Osnabryg+Lowlands at googlemail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2013.02.28 [1]
Dear Lowland friends,

I am now allegedly a violator of law. To explain: Already 10, 15 years ago,
I replaced smoking cigarettes by consuming Swedish "Snus" tobacco (on
health grounds). I ordered it over years online from Sweden and got it. In
the last 3 years I got sometimes problems with German toll, but got the
stuff at the end. Newly (for a little order) I have to expect a fine or
penalty, because of allegedly having violated German and European Union's
law by importing snus (or trying to).

The measure - confiscating the online bought Swedish chewing tobacco and
now penalize me - is based on a rather adventurous construction.

An EU Direction (from 2001) forbids to deal (sell)  with "mouth tobacco,
with is not for smoking or chewing" within EU countries (except Sweden) -
and some customs authorities interpret this as a ban to order Swedish mouth
tobacco (snus) even for private consumption.

IMHO all mouth tobaccos - called "chewing" or els are normally not consumed
by chewing (scrunch) them, but by primarily sucking them between teeth and
cheek.

So there is not principal difference between Swedish "snus" and German,
Belgian or other so-called chewing tobacco, which is freely dealt and sold
within all EU countries.

The definition of the EU Direction (Mundtabak, der weder zum Rauchen noch
zum Kauen bestimmt ist) is a failed attempt to laminate the open
discrimination of a Swedish commodity within the EU. Openly done, this
violated all principles of the EU.

Well, what has this to do with linguistics?

In my plea against the measures and the penalty, I'd like to add some
linguistic fact about chewing (tobacco) and Swedish "snus".

Therefore I would like to know the etymology of the Swedish word "snus".

In my guess Swedish *snus* is related to Ripuarian (Rhenish) *"Schnüss"* LS
*snute* DE *Schnauze*. All these words cover the organs of nose and mouth
(e.g. of dogs). *Snustabaken* therefore Ripuarian *"Schnüsstabak"*, LS *
snutentobak*, DE S*chnauzentabak *or *Mundtabak*.

My question: Am I on the right way to relate the Swedish word "snus"
to Ripuarian (Rhenish) *"Schnüss"* LS *snute* DE *Schnauze* ? Other
interpretations?
What exactly is etymological the difference between EN snuff (De
Schnupf[tabak], LS snup[tobak]) and the Swedish word "snus"?

Wether this may benefit in my plea or not, I would like to know your
knowledge and guessing about that question.

Met echt-westfœlsken »Goutgaun!«
joachim
*-- OT: Please cite/quote always only the relevant/necessary part(s) of
messages when answering to them, this would unburden our mailboxes a little
bit! --*
 Kreimer-de Fries -
Osnabrügge => Berlin-Pankow
skype kreimer-de_fries

Send commands (including “signoff lowlands-l”) to
listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com