LL-L "Etymology ​" 2013.03.28 (01) [EN​]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Fri Mar 29 00:10:41 UTC 2013

 Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org
From: Joachim Kreimer-de Fries Osnabryg+Lowlands at googlemail.com
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2013.03.28 (01) [EN]

Oh, happy Maundy Thursday,
dearly beloved LL-brethren,

on which a linguistic gem could be cleared and polished in this group!
Am 28.03.2013 um 01:33 schrieb Reinhard/Ron Hahn:

However, while in most Low Saxon dialects the word for 'to fight' is *
fechten* [ˈfɛçtn̩], in many Low Saxon dialects of Eastern Friesland it is *
fuchten* [ˈfʊxtn̩]. So *fuchtig *would be something like *"fighty", if
English had such a word. Better still, compare it to Scots *fechtie* [ˈfe:çti:]
'brave', 'courageous' (from *fecht* [fe:çt] 'to fight').

Bingo, Ron, I think this is the final solution for the Lowlandic, Low
German origin, meaning and character of the *Good-Bye saying*
*"Haul / Holl di/ju fuchtig!"* (& thanks again to Hanne whose engaged
message about Plattdeutsch *fuchtig* provoked these reflections!)

*Frisian thus.* Dutch West Frisia *fjochterich*,
Low German East Friesland *fuchtig*,  DE/LS *fuchtig*.
With full right of residence in the Low Saxon language variety … which this
word ought to have in the Dutch language, too, but is not known there. In
Standard German it was and is it already at home anyway.

In this case, NL *vochtig* for "moist" is linguistically an aberration,
because the longer duration of the Germanic root syllable *fiuht* / *fūht*/ LS
*füücht*,  is not kept in it. It had better developed as NL *vuucht(ig)* of
*vuicht(tig)*, by this letting place to a desirable and *possible* NL *vechtig
/ vachtig / vochtig* (from *existing!) NL vecht / vacht / vocht* EN *fight,
battle *etc).

Really good, to have a master craftsman on board, Reinhard!

I'm going to propose to the *Verein Deutsche Sprache (VDS)*, to put DE *
fuchtig* (which is a little bit discriminated as "umgangssprachlich =
non-standard, colloquial" in the Duden) in a protection list of threatened
ancient word monuments …

So finally *
*
*Mandatum novum do vobis* "A new commandment I give unto you"
(John xiii:34),
to promulgate the productive merits of the Frisian varieties for the
Lowlandic language development ;-)
Met echt-westfœlsken »Goutgaun!«
 joachim
--
Kreimer-de Fries -
Osnabrügge => Berlin-Pankow  skype kreimer-de_fries

----------

From: R. F. Hahn sassisch at yahoo.com
Subject: Etymology

Thanks for the approval, Joachim!

The existence of Scots *fechtie* [ˈfe:çti:] 'brave', 'courageous' (from *
fecht* [fe:çt] 'to fight') is pretty important in this context. Don't you
think?

I wrote:

> Another derived meaning of *fuchtig* is 'wildly gesticulating', 'behaving
> wildly' (as though fighting). Derived from this is the frequentive form *
> fuchteln* [ˈfʊxtl̩n] 'to wave about (wildly)' (also used in German).

Here it might be better to use, instead of "frequentive," the label
"iterative" (i.e. characterizing several "small" actions in a sequence).
This ancient iterative verb marker /-l-/ (as in "cuddle", "tickle",
"fondle", *kitzeln, kitteln ~ ketten*, *nuckeln*, etc.) is no doubt related
to the nominal diminutive marker /-l/ (as in "saddle", "bundle", *Beutel*, *
Büdel*, *Kindl*, etc.).

Happy Easter and happy (continuing) Passover!

Seattle, USA

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com