AZ:Malinalli

R. Joe Campbell campbel at indiana.edu
Sat Jul 24 00:33:49 UTC 1999

Mike,
  "mali:na" is a verb, meaning 'twist'.   "mali:nalli" is the derived
patientive noun, somewhat like Spanish and English past participles,
meaning 'twisted'.
  Maybe someone with cultural knowledge can untangle the meaning
associations.

Joe

>>From the Florentine:

malinalla**

1. *malinalla*, nomac temi,.
      the bloom fills up my hand (b.2 f.14 p.236).

malinalli**

2. inin matlactetl omei in tonalli, in iuhqui itlahuilanhuan
     mochihua, in itech pohui: yehuatl in ome acatl, ei calli,
     nahui cuetzpali, macuilli coatl, chicuacen miquiztli, chicome
     mazatl, chicuei tochtli, chiconahui atl, matlactli itzcuintli,
     matlactli oce ozomatli, matlactli omome *malinalli*, matlactli
     omei acatl..
      it became as the leader of this group of thirteen days
     which belonged with it: two [wind], three house, four lizard,
     five serpent, six death, seven deer, eight rabbit, nine
     water, ten dog, eleven monkey, twelve grass, and thirteen
     reed. (b.4 f.1 p.2).

3. yehuatl in ome tochtli, ei atl, nahui itzcuintli, macuilli
     ozomatli, chicuacen *malinalli*, chicome acatl, chicuei
     ocelotl, chiconahui cuauhtli, matlactli cozcacuauhtli,
     matlactli oce olin, matlactlomome tecpatl, matlactlomei
     quiahuitl..
      these are two rabbit, and three water, four dog, five
     monkey, six grass, seven reed, eight ocelot, nine eagle,
     ten vulture, eleven motion, twelve flint knife, and thirteen
     rain. (b.4 f.1 p.9).

4. chicuacen *malinalli* iuh mitoa: amo cualli, tecuani tonalli:.
      six grass, so they said, was evil, a day sign of wild
     beasts. (b.4 f.3 p.20).

5. in yehuatl contoquilia ome cipactli, ihuan ei acatl, nahui
     calli, macuilli cuetzpali, chicuacen coatl, chicome miquiztli,
     chicuei mazatl, chiconahui tochtli, matlactli atl, matlactli
     oce itzcuintli, matlactlomome ozomatli, matlactlomei *malinalli*:.
      two crocodile followed it, and three reed, four house,
     five lizard, six serpent, seven death, eight deer, nine
     rabbit, ten water, eleven dog, twelve monkey, and thirteen
     grass. (b.4 f.3 p.23).

6. quin cen oncan cualtiaya, in izquitetl in tonalli, in ipan
     chicome *malinalli*:.
      thereafter, all the different days in the time of seven
     grass became good. (b.4 f.4 p.38).

7. quin cen ipan maltiaya, in chicome *malinalli*: ipampa iuh
     mitoa, quilmach mochipa cualcan, in ipan chicome tonalli,
     in oncan tlachicometi, chicometihuaya:.
      later all were bathed together on seven grass, because,
     as it was said, it was claimed always to be a favorable
     time on the seventh day sign, the one which then became
     seventh and took seventh place. (b.4 f.4 p.38).

8. inic caxtolli capitulo: itechpa tlatoa, inic chicuetetl machiotl,
     in itoca ce *malinalli*: ihuan in amo cualli tonalli in
     itech ca,.
      fifteenth chapter, which telleth of the eighth sign, called
     one grass, and the evil day signs with it. (b.4 f.6 p.54).

9. moquetza ce *malinalli*,.
      one grass set in. (b.4 f.6 p.54).

10. yehuatl inic quihuallatotoquiliaya tonalpouhque, inic achi
     oncan quicualtiliaya itonal, in ipan tlacatia ce *malinalli*..
      this one the readers of the day signs thus sought out
     so that they might then somewhat better the day sign of
     the one born on one grass. (b.4 f.6 p.56).

11. auh in chicuei *malinalli*: no achi quicualittaya, zan nohuian
     iuhqui in ixquich chichicueei tonalli..
      and eight grass they also regarded as somewhat good, just
     like all day signs of the eighth position everywhere. (b.4
     f.8 p.74).

12. auh in ome *malinalli*: niman amo cualli,.
      and two grass was in no way good. (b.4 f.8 p.82).

13. auh in ome coatl, ihuan ei miquiztli, inic tecpantiuh, nahui
     mazatl, macuilli tochtli, chicuacen atl, chicome itzcuintli,
     chicuei ozomatli, chiconahui *malinalli*, matlactli acatl,
     matlactloce ocelotl, matlactli omome cuauhtli, matlactlomei
     cozcacuauhtli: in ixquich in, inic ontlatlantiuh ome ei,.
      and two serpent, and three death--thus they proceeded,
     in order--four deer, five rabbit, six waer, seven dog,
     eight monkey, nine grass, ten reed, eleven ocelot, twelve
     eagle, thirteen vulture: all these thus bring to a conclusion
     the two, three, [etc.]. (b.4 f.8 p.82).

14. auh in quitoquilia ome ozomatli, ihuan ei *malinalli*, nahui
     acatl, macuilli ocelotl, chicuacen cuauhtli, chicome cozcacuauhtli,
     chicuei olin, chiconahui tecpac, matlactli quiahuitl, matlactloce
     xochitl, matlactlomome cipactli, matlactli omei ecatl,.
      and [the day signs] which followed it were two monkey,
     and three grass, four reed, five ocelot, six eagle, seven
     vulture, eight motion, none flint knife, ten rain, eleven
     flower, twelve crocodile, thirteen wind. (b.4 f.9 p.92).

15. in ixquich ic ontlatlantiuh, matlatlactlomeei: ipampa in
     za nican onmocentlalia, izquiteme cencalpan tonaltin, in
     quinpehualtitica ce calli, ihuan ome cuetzpalin, ei coatl,
     nahui miquiztli, macuilli mazatl, chicuacen tochtli, chicome
     atl, chicuei itzcuintli, chiconahui ozomatli, matlactli
     *malinalli*, matlactloce acatl, matlactlomome ocelotl,
     matlactlomei cuauhtli,.
      all thirteen thus go to their conclusion; because of this,
     all of the day signs are brought together in one group,
     beginning with one house, and [then] two lizard, three
     serpent, four death, five deer, six rabbit, seven water,
     eight dog, nine monkey, ten grass, eleven reed, twelve
     ocelot, thirteen eagle. (b.4 f.9 p.96).

16. mototoquilitiuh in ei ozomatli, nahui *malinalli*, macuilli
     acatl, chicuacen ocelotl, chicome cuauhtli, chicuei cozcacuauhtli,
     chiconahui olin, matlactli tecpatl, matlactloce quiahuitl,
     matlactlomome xochitl, matlactlomei cipactli:.
      then come in order, following along, three monkey, four
     grass, five reed, six ocelot, seven eagle, eight vulture,
     nine motion, ten flint knife, elven rain, twelve flower,
     thirteen crocodile. (b.4 f.10 p.100).

17. quitoa cenca ipan tepoloaya in chiconahui itzcuintli, anozo
     chiconahui miquiztli, chiconahui *malinalli*: ihuan in
     ye mochi chichiconanahui, ihuan in oc cequi motenehua acualli
     tonalli, in izquican omoteneuh,.
      they said that he did great evil to one on nine dog, or
     nine death, or nine grass, and indeed on all the ninth
     positions, and the other bad day signs mentioned--each
     of the different positions named. (b.4 f.10 p.102).

18. ic zan onnenetzolcate, nenetechcate, nenetech zaliuhticate,
     moquequetzticate, mototocaticate, mototoquiliticate, in
     izquiteme nican cencalpan tequippaneque: in yehuatl ome
     calli: ei cuetzpalin, nahui coatl, macuilli miquiztli,
     chicuacen mazatl, chicome tochtli, chicuei atl, chiconahui
     itzcuintli, matlactli ozomatli, matlactli oze *malinalli*,
     matlactli omome acatl, matlactli omei ocelotl..
      so only these are being clustered, brought together, joined
     together, set separately, arranged in procession and in
     succession, the different numbers of the series, with their
     assigned tasks: two house, three lizard, four serpent,
     five death, six deer, seven rabbit, eight water, nine dog,
     ten monkey, eleven grass, twelve reed, thirteen ocelot.
     (b.4 f.10 p.106).

19. in oncan in tlaoncayotia 2. atl, ihuan ei itzcuintli, 4.
     ozomatli, 5. *malinalli*. 6. acatl. 7. ocelotl. 8. cuauhtli.
     9. cozcacuauhtli. 10. olin. 11. tecpatl. 12. quiahuitl.
     13. xochitl..
      the second, taking second place, two water, and three
     dog, four monkey, five grass, six reed, seven ocelot, eight
     eagle, nine vulture, ten motion, eleven flint knife, twelve
     rain, and thirteen flower. (b.4 f.12 p.133).

malinaloni**

20. itech quiza in ichtli, cimaloni, tzahualoni, tilmachihualoni
     *malinaloni*, paloni, yapaloni.
      the maguey fibre comes from it, the kind which can be
     dressed, spun; from which capes are made; which can be
     twisted, dyed, darkened. (b.11 f.21 p.217).

malinaltenanco**

21. auh in yehuatl axayaca, quipeuh in tlacotepec, ihuan callimaya,
     ihuan metepec, callixtlahuaca, hecatepec, cozcacuauhtenanco,
     teotenanco, *malinaltenanco*, tzinacantepec, coatepec,
     cuitlapilco, teoxahualco, tecualoya, ocuillan..
      and this axayacatl conquered tlacotepec, and callimaya,
     and metepec, callixtlauacan, ecatepec, cozcaquauhtenanco,
     teotenanco, malinaltenanco, tzinacantepec, coatepec, cuitlapilco,
     teoxaualco, tequaloian, and ocuillan. (b.8 f.1 p.2).

malinaltica**

22. ihuan mochichiqui *malinaltica* in tixten,.
      and [the interior of] the eyelids is rubbed with malinalli.
     (b.10 f.8 p.144).

momamalina**

23. auh in omozozoc, xochitl, mec *momamalina*, milacatzoa,
     huel huihuiac huihuitlatztic, totomahuac, huel tomactic..
      and when the flowers had been strung together, then they
     were twisted, they were wound [in garlands] -each indeed
     long, each very long, each thick, indeed thick. (b.2 f.6
     p.107).

nicmalina**

24. *nicmalina*.
      I twist it (b.10 f.6 p.100b).

tenmalinqui**

25. in quimotlauhtiaya cueitl: yehuatl in yollo, ihuan tlatzcallotl,
     ilacatziuhqui: ihuan huipilli yehuatl in potoncapipilcac,
     texicalicuiliuhqui, ihuan ixcuauhcallo huipilli, *tenmalinqui*..
      they received as gifts skirts: the one with the heart
     design, and with whorl [or] spiral designs; and shifts:
     the one with the downy feather pendants, [or] the one painted
     like stone vases, and the shift with the design of an eagle
     head in a setting, with a border of twisted cords. (b.9
     f.4 p.47).

tlamalina**

26. tlayectia, tlatlancolohcahuia, *tlamalina*,.
      he cleans [the threads], twists them using his teeth,
     rolls them over his hip. (b.10 f.4 p.74).

tlamalinqui**

27. in cacnamacac, ca caczoc, caczoni, tlahuapaltecani, tlatzetzeloani,
     *tlamalinqui*,.
      the sandal seller is a sandal maker, a maker of sandals
     who cuts the soles, shakes out [the cordsl, rolls them.
     (b.10 f.4 p.73).

tlamalintic**

28. cocomotztic, *tlamalintic*, moca ahhuatl,.
      it is constricted, like a twisted cord, full of thorns.
     (b.11 f.21 p.218).

tlamalintli**

29. itech pilcatiuh chichilicpatl, potonqui ic *tlamalintli*,.
      from it hung loose, twisted, red cotton thread. (b.2 f.8
     p.136).

30. *tlamalintli*, tlahuipantli tlahuipanalli, itech tlatzontli,
     tlanetechitzontli:.
      they were twisted, arrayed, disposed, sewn to it, sewn
     to each other. (b.2 f.9 p.156).

31. inin chalcayatl *tlamalintli* in icpatl, tlatlalpitl, iuhquin
     matlatl cillo,.
      this netted cape was of twisted maguey fiber, knotted,
     like a net set with small, white gastropod shells. (b.3
     f.4 p.56).

32. auh in itzonipilhuaz tlatlapalicpatl chichiltic coztic,
     texotic, tliltic, iztac ihhuitl inic *tlamalintli* catca..
      and their hair braids [were tied with] many-colored, loose
     cotton threads of red, yellow, blue, black, twisted into
     a rope with white feathers. (b.9 f.5 p.60).

33. inenelhuayo: iuhquin *tlamalintli*,.
      its root is like a twisted cord. (b.11 f.14 p.149).

ximocximalina**

34. xonmitizoquihui, xonmitichichiqui, *ximocximalina*, tlalli
     ic ximohuitequi, tlalli xiquipototztihuetzi:.
      anoint thy stomach with mud; scratch thy stomach; twist
     one leg about the other; [fall] striking thyself on the
     ground; fall stinking on the ground. (b.2 f.2 p.64).