Some questions

John F. Schwaller schwallr at mrs.umn.edu
Thu Mar 14 19:33:14 UTC 2002

At 11:40 AM 3/14/02 -0600, John F. Schwaller wrote:
>(2)
>Is it true that the place where the Hospital del Nino Jesus now
>stands, was
>the ancient site place where Moctezuma and Cortes met for the first
>time?

Probably not.  The accounts seem to place it a bit further south.  I've
always assumed it was somewhere between Churubusco and the Chabacano Metro
stop.

>(4)
>How many people in total were killed by Cortes?

That is nearly impossible to know.  How many were killed by direct action
of war, or how many died as a result of warfare, pestilence, and
famine?  We don't even know for sure how many Spaniards died in the
conquest, and they were the folks keeping the records.  For that matter we
don't even know for sure how many Spaniards there were.

John F. Schwaller
Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs and Dean
315 Behmler Hall
University of Minnesota, Morris
600 E 4th Street
Morris, MN  56267