Cuacha

Matthew Montchalin mmontcha at OREGONVOS.NET
Fri May 21 04:18:13 UTC 2004

|I never write anything on this list but I thought I would on this one.  In my
|family, cuacha means "shit" too.  For instance, there's a lot of little kids in
|our family and they always expect presents when we go anywhere.  They always
|ask "what did you get me?"  The answer most of the time is "cuacha."  My family
|is from Nuevo Leon, so maybe cuacha as "shit" is a northern variation.  As far
|as using it to describe a mess or untidy thing, we would use it if the mess was
|like rotten food or muddy stuff or something disgusting, not just a pile of
|dirty clothes.  Plus, when someone has diarrhea the term we use is "cuacha."
|It sounds nicer than "chorro."

Could kwacha have been imported into Nawatl from Mediaeval Spanish
'quassa' (dating to the time of Cortez, I guess), and ultimately from
Late Latin quattior (and through hundreds of years of Mediaeval Spanish
filtering it and changing it somehow)?