Mexica Movement [Schwaller]

David Becraft david_becraft at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Apr 17 23:02:19 UTC 2006

Thank you for commenting on my paper.
I agree with you that identities can in the future become modified and
reappropriated, this in a sense is what the Mexica Movement is doing.  It is
taking people who have lost a knowledge of their indigenous identity
[obviously as a result of colonialism] and reintroducing them to an identity
that can rebuild their sense of worth as an indigenous person.  Many do not
know whether they are Otomangue or Maya, or even Yuto-Nawa, yet people are
adopting not only Mexica as an identity, but others as well.  Those who are
adopting or "reappropriating" other indigenous identities,[Yaki, Raramuri,
Pore'pecha, etc] many times do so as a result of the oral tradition or
geographical location as to what indigenous group they "probably" descend
from.
I disagree with you and JOSE VASCONCELOS though, Mestizo [latin for mixed]
is a sociopolitical construct used by the elite to dominate the Indigenous
population into "taking pride" in their "Spanish blood" while "taking shame"
in their "Indigenous blood."  Europeans are also a Mixed [Mestizo] people,
yet they are not viewed as a "Cosmic Race".  The race concept itself is a
social construction with roots in early "American colonialsim".  Considering
that "Mestizo" means mixed, a child of a Mixtec and Maya parents would also
be considered Mestizo/Mixed.  Yet, under the sociopolitical construction of
biological differences, this is never a matter of debate.
The majority of Indigenous people have not had Spanish "inter-marriage" or
Spanish blood "raped" into them in the last 200 + years, hence [if one wants
to follow a biological concept of race], so-called Mestizo's are not
actually "mixed" anymore.

Thank you for your critique, I will take your considerations into account in
the future, as well as Frances Karttunen's.

Sincerely,

Pancho Becraft