Tula vs. Teotihuacan

Ian Robertson igr at stanford.edu
Sat Dec 2 07:13:38 UTC 2006

Hello all,

Some years ago I wrote up the following brief note on the meaning of
Teotihuacan--as I understood it. I would be happy to hear other ideas or
suggestions.

Best,

Ian Robertson

+++++++++++++++++
A variety of more and less implausible translations have been suggested
for /teotihuacan/, including ‘place of worship,’ ‘abode of the Gods,’
‘the place where men became Gods,’ and the ‘place of those who have the
road of the Gods’ (see Millon 1992:359). The translation I favour (‘the
place where divinity comes into being’) is based on identifying the
following elements: *teoti* <denominal verb “to become divine”, “to
become a god”>; *–hua* <impersonal suffix>; and *–can* <locative noun
“place where”> (see Launey 1992:135 ff., 225). Andrews (2003:498) has
recently translated the word as ‘at the place of the owners of the Elder
Gods’. This intriguing translation may conceivably make better sense of
the observed locative *–can* (the locative –*yan* might be expected
after the impersonal verbstem /teotihua/*–* that I posit) but this
reading also requires restoring a glottal stop in the position
immediately preceding—/teotihuahcan/ instead of /teotihuacan/.

Andrews, J. Richard
2003 /Introduction to Classical Nahuatl/. Revised Ed. University of
Oklahoma Press, Norman.

Launey, Michel
1992 /Introducción a la Lengua y a la Literatura Náhuatl/. Instituto de
Investigaciones Antropológicas, UNAM, México, D. F.

Millon, René
1992 Teotihuacan Studies: From 1950 to 1990 and Beyond/./ In /Art,
Ideology, and the City of Teotihuacan/, edited by J. C. Berlo, pp.
339-429. Dumbarton Oaks, Washington, D.C.