Cuaxochtli

Jonathan D Amith jonathan.amith at YALE.EDU
Mon Feb 20 17:59:05 UTC 2006

Dear Joe and all,

In Guerrero xo:tla is a transitive verb meaning, basically, 'to create a
deep line in' (for lack of a better translation). Thus it can be used to
describe the action of a boat that plows through the water and leaves a
large wake. It is also used for what a water snake does as it moves
through the water, with its head up (partir el agua). Other uses are to
the action of using spurs on the side of a donkey (scratching into its
skin) to make it go faster (a losing proposition, by the way). Finally,
it is somewhat jokingly used to indicate the action of signing ones name
(rubric). Thus xihxo:tla 'sign it' (referring to the action of
scratching the pen rapidly across the surface of the paper).

So, note that Molina among the cutting into strips has "hazer rayas".
The cuttinig is probably a reference to how the cuero was cut, by using
a sharp, obsidian perhaps instrument and pressing down to make a deep
line in the material so that it would pull apart into strips.

Hence quitlalxochilia, etc.

So, if cuaxochtli etc. is related to this verb, which seems a good
guess, it might be related to this action of rayando and only by
extension to the linderos.

jda

--
Jonathan D Amith
Director: Mexico-North Program on Indigenous Languages