Tlacaelel

R. Joe Campbell campbel at INDIANA.EDU
Wed Mar 15 17:23:12 UTC 2006

    I'm frequently worried about whether we are talking about active
morphological relationships or etymological origins when we discuss a
particular "morpheme".  In the case of names, I think it leans toward
being the latter, so my credulousness goes up.

    There is a formative (possibly a morpheme and maybe a combination of
two morphemes): "e:llelli", which is very common.  Of course, the final
-li is the absolutive suffix, so we are talking about "e:llel-".  Since
'll' does not appear in Nahuatl morphemes (i.e., it is always the product
of /l/ and either /y/ or /tl/ juxtaposed at morpheme boundaries), its
single morpheme status is dubious.
    Andrews' suggestion (cf. p. 283 and p. 271) is that "e:llel-" is a
compound of "e:l(-li)" [liver] and a modified (unattested) form of
"tle(-tl)", namely, "tlel(-li)".  He believes that there is a parallel
variation in "te(-tl)" [rock] and "tel(-li)" [pile of rocks, rock mound,
mound]; he addresses "tel(-li)" on p. 614.
    Although *some* hypothesis may seem more appealing than *no*
hypothesis, I believe that this idea belongs in the area of etymology;
morphology is supposed to be dynamic and productive, with no black boxes.

Saludos,

Joe

p.s.  Since reduplication in Nahuatl only involves the first vowel and
whatever precedes it (if anything), then the sequence 'elel' couldn't
originate in reduplication because it wouldn't reach as far as the 'l'.
}8-)