Yaocihuatl

Dodds Pennock, Dr C.E. ced22 at leicester.ac.uk
Tue Aug 11 19:45:10 UTC 2009

Dear colleagues,

Many thanks to all those of you who took the time to contact me about my query - your help is much appreciated. From what I can find, it seems that the phrase 'Woman of Discord' seems to come mostly from Spanish accounts of the relevant incidents, rather than being a direct translation of 'Yaocihuatl' which is more clearly 'War Woman'. I guess it's a more 'poetic' way of putting it, and makes sense in the Spanish contexts, although it needs addressing in my article directly I think, because 'war' isn't quite the same as 'discord'.

Sincerely
Caroline
-------
Dr Caroline Dodds Pennock