Modern Nahuatl data needed

SASAKI Mitsuya hawatari21centuries at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 11:19:29 UTC 2012

Nocnihuantzitzine,

I am currently working on the Classical Nahuatl "subject" marking on
non-predicate nouns, and desperately need the comparable data from
modern Nahuatl dialects.

I'd really appreciate it if you'd show me if the Nahuatl dialect(s) you
are working on has 1st- or 2nd-person subject marking (obligatory or
optional) on nouns in the following four environments:

(1) Predicate of non-present (past/future) copular sentences.
  CN ex.	[a] TI-tla'toa:ni tiyez
	"You will be the king."
	[b] NI-coco:cahua' nicatca
	"I was a rich person."

(2) Resultative complement of "become" etc.
  CN ex.	[c] TI-piltzintli ti-mochi:hua
	"You become a child."

(3) Subject or object of a verb.
  CN ex.	[d] ninocho:quilia in N-amoko:l
	"I, your grandfather, lament"

(4) Adjective + noun construction.
  CN ex.	[e] TI-nelli TI-sacerdote
	"You who are a real priest"

For example, according to Tuggy, Tetelcingo Nahuatl seems to preserve
most of those obligatory nominal "subject" person markings.
Michoacan Nahuatl, on the other hand, seems to have lost the "subject"
marking on non-predicate nouns.
Most published grammatical works don't provide enough information as to
those phenomena anyway.

Are those nominal person markings obligatory, optional, or impossible in
the Nahuatl dialect(s) you are working on?

Any positive or negative information will be greatly appreciated.

Cencah tlazohcamati,

Mitsuya Sasaki

Dept. of Linguistics, University of Tokyo
hawatari21centuries at gmail.com
1625659743 at mail.ecc.u-tokyo.ac.jp