Nahuatl Digest, Vol 311, Issue 3

Campbell, R. Joe campbel at indiana.edu
Wed Sep 25 03:32:34 UTC 2013

Quoting Frances Karttunen <karttu at comcast.net>:
> It conveys the sense of "solamente" which reinforces "icel" "sola."
>
> Fran Karttunen
>
> On Sep 21, 2013, at 1:30 PM, juanvazquezvaz at aol.com wrote:
>
>> In the statement:  "Nochi     in    tequitl,      zan          yeh
>>   icel    oquichihuaya"
>>
>>                             "Todo el  trabajo
>>    ella   sola   lo hacia"
>>
>> What is the purpose of  the word     ZAN?
>>
>> Tlazocamati

Nocnihuan,

   Since I see our get-togethers as discussions, not arguments, I nod
at some contributions but sometimes maintain a certain dubit.  Although
I agreed in the main with Fran's comment, I kept hearing the echo of
the discourse of a friend from Canoa as we walked here and there and
even yon  --  the phrase "zan yeh" kept popping up.  So the three part
phrase "zan yeh icel" made me check the co-occurrence of the pairs:
  zan yeh
  zan (i)cel

   Fran's comment is borne out both in checking co-occurrences in the
Florentine and in checking the grammar of Richard Andrews.  I thought
y'all would find these notes of interest.

Joe

 From Andrews:  (results from the Florentine follow "*******")

Andrews, p. 396
      NNCs formed on the stem (n-o-ce*-l)-0-, (m-o-ce*-l)-0-,
        etc., are usually preceded by the adverbial particle
        zan, "only":

      zan noce*l = I am alone
          *** zan nocel = I am alone

p. 401
      The preterit predicate formed on the verbstem *(iyo-a*)
        can be used in an NNC whose predicate is translated as
        an adjective with a value similar to that of the
        adjectival nounstem (n-o-ce*-l)-0-, etc. (see § 40.2.3).
        The particle zan ordinarily precedes the NNC. The verb
        *(iyoa*) also occurs in an adverbial VNC (see §
        44.3.11); see also § 44.8.1.

      zan niyoh = #n-0(iyo-h-0)[[-0# = I am alone.
          *** zan niyoh = niyoh[[ = I am alone.

      zan tiyoh = you are alone
          *** zan tiyoh = you are alone

      zan iyoh = he/she/it is alone
          *** zan iyoh = he/she/it is alone

      zan tiyohqueh = we are alone
          *** zan tiyohqueh = we are alone

      zan amiyohqueh = you (pl) are alone
          *** zan amiyohqueh = you pl are alone

      zan iyohqueh = they are alone
          *** zan iyohqueh = they are alone

page ??

      Zan noce*l o*nihua*llah. = I alone came. Only I came.
          *** Zan nocel onihuallah. = I alone came. Only I came.

      Zan toce*ltin o*tihua*llahqueh. = We alone came. Only we
        came.
          *** Zan toceltin otihuallahqueh. = We alone came. Only we
              came.

**************************************

I found 40 tokens of the co-occurrence of "zan" and "-cel".  Some of
them turned out to be repetitions, so they show up as blank sentences.
The repetitions are the result of a double occurrence of the pattern in
the sentence. >8-)

If you consult the text, either in Dibble and Anderson or in the
facsimile and you find that my spelling doesn't match theirs, it is due
to the fact that I use a double entry text with both the original and a
regularized version.
Using the original spelling would be an impossible task!!

zan ce:l *** 40

1.  in zan huel iceltzin itetzinco quiza in pepetlaca, in tlanextia, in
       ixquich teyollali, in ixquich tetlamachti, huel yehhuatzin zan
       huel iceltzin, tlachihuale.
     he from whom alone issueth that which illumineth, that which giveth
       light, that which comforteth; all teaching -- he alone, the
       creator.  b.1 c.Ap p.56 f.3

2.

3.

4.

5.  ce tlacatl tlatoani onnenca ipiltzin, zan huel icel ipiltzin,
       itelpoch, in cenca quitlazotlaya:
     there lived the son of a man who was ruler, his only son, his
       youth, whom he loved much.  b.1 c.Ap p.58 f.3

6.  in tlazotli tocaitl in teotl, in zan huel iceltzin iaxcatzin in
       dios, inic oquintocayotique in teixiptla in tetl, in cuahuitl.
     the precious name of god, which belongeth only to god, they thus
       gave as name to the representation in stone, in wood.  b.1 c.Ap
       p.59 f.3

7.

8.  ca zan moceltzin titeotl, ca zan moceltzin ticmopachilhuia, in
       ixquich in ilhuicac onoc, in tlalticpac, onoc:
     for thou only art god; for thou alone commandest all things which
       are in heaven, which are on earth.  b.1 c.Ap p.61 f.3

9.

10.

11.

12.  ca zan huel ce, in zan huel iceltzin, teyocoyani, ipalnemoani,
       nohuian, tlatoani:
     there is only one, the only creator by whom we live, ruler
       everywhere.  b.1 c.Ap p.63 f.4

13.

14.  q. n. toteucyoe, diose, ca zan moceltzin titeotl, titlatoani,
     that is to say,"o our lord god, thou alone art god, thou art ruler.
       b.1 c.Ap p.63 f.4

15.  zan moceltzin momactzinco ca, in ixquich ittalo, in amo ittalo.
     in thy hand alone are all things visible [and] invisible.  b.1 c.Ap
       p.63 f.4

16.  zan moceltzin ticmotemaquilia.
     thou alone givest them.  b.1 c.Ap p.67 f.4

17.  ca zan huel iceltzin techmomaquilia, in tixquichti cemanahuac
       titlaca in yehhuatl, quiahuitl, inic mochihua in ixquich
       tonacayotl:
     for, indeed, only he himself giveth all of us men on earth this
       rain, wherewith is made all our sustenance.  b.1 c.Ap p.68 f.4

18.  in teotl, zan huel iceltzin ineixcahuilaxcatzin, in dios in
       teyocoyani, in ipalnemoani.
     the [name] god is exclusive to him himself, god the creator through
       whom there is life.  b.1 c.Ap p.69 f.4

19.  amo quimatia, ca zan huel iceltzin in ipalnemoani toteucyo dios,
       motepielia, motemanahuilia:
     they knew not that only he alone through whom there is life
       watcheth over men, defendeth men.  b.1 c.Ap p.70 f.4

20.  inin ca huel ic neci, ca zan iceltzin toteucyo dios,
       motepalehuiliani, motemanahuiliani:
     this is plain, that only our lord god himself customarily aideth
       men, customarily defendeth men.  b.1 c.Ap p.70 f.4

21.  auh ca monequi, zan huel iceltzin notzaloz, tlatlauhtiloz; in icuac
       itla techtequipachoa.
     and it is required that only he himself be called upon, be
       supplicated, when anything afflicteth us.  b.1 c.Ap p.70 f.4

22.  auh in axcan, ma huel xicmatican, zan huel iceltzin, icel teotl
       dios, motepatiliani, moteyolitiliani,
     but now, know well that only he alone, the true god, is the healer
       of men, the giver of life to men.  b.1 c.Ap p.73 f.05

23.

24.  in icuac itla topan mochihua, in tecoco, in tetolini, zan huel
       iceltzin, tlatlauhtiloz, temoloz, iuh ca in teotlatolli, in
       tlacpac omito.
     when something befalleth us -- pain, affliction -- he alone may be
       sought, prayed to, as is the word of god, as hath been said
       above.  b.1 c.Ap p.73 f.05

25.  za icel quiticac in teooctli:
     only he alone stood drinking the sacred pulque.  b.2 c.38 p.207
       f.13

26.  auh macihuin zan icel motenehua, ca oncan quincemilnamiquia, in
       totochti, oocti,
     and although only he alone was named, yet at that time they
       remembered all the wine gods, who became the wine.  b.4 c.5 p.17 f.2

27.  intla ye aca axixmiqui, in zan icel yoaltica quiza: in ahzo
       metztona, anozo tlayohua: ihcuac quimottitia:
     if someone wished to urinate, and went forth quite alone at night,
       when, perhaps, the moon shone or it was dark, then they appeared
       to him.  b.5 c.13 p.179 f.2

28.  ca zan iceltzin huel oncan motlanecuiltia in tloque nahuaque, in
       titlacahuan:
     he alone, he who pervadeth all, titlacauan, may smell that place.
       b.5 c.3a p.184 f.2

29.  za icel in itlan ca ticitl: tlein mach ic tlatlatlauhtitica,
     only the midwife was by her, because she was offering prayers.  b.6
       c.28 p.160 f.13

30.  auh in aquin tachcauhchiuhtiaz, amo zan icel in quinonotzaya, in
       quicaquia tlatolli: mochtin in quinhuicaz, in quezquintin
       moyolehua:
     and he who was to become leader summoned not only those who heard
       the discourse; he would take all -- as many as wished [to go].
       b.9 c.3 p.14 f.2

31.  auh inic nemi, zan in ceceltin in nemi: amo oomentin momana,
     and thus they lived; each couple lived alone, not two couples
       together.  b.10 c.29 p.172 f.10

32.  auh zan icel, in cenca huel quilhuichihuiliaya in yocippa: in
       ihcuac quilhuiquixtiliaya, quitoa totopainalo, yocippa totoco,
     and only for this one did they observe the principal feast day; to
       iocippa, when they celebrated a feast for him, they said:
       "totopainalo, iocippa totoco."  b.10 c.29 p.181 f.11

33.  auh inic nemi: amo zan icel nemi, onca inamic:
     and thus does it live: not just by itself does it live; its mate is
       there.  b.11 c.5 p.76 f.8

34.  inic mitoa icel azcatl, zan icel in nenemi, amo ontemantinemi, amo
       no yeheteyetinemi, iuhquin oc cequin azcame,
     it is called "lone ant" because it goes about only alone; it does
       not go about in pairs, nor in threes, like the other ants.  b.11
       c.5 p.90 f.9

35.

36.  in ochicahuaque: no tecuani, no iztlaque, no iuhquin tlatlahuic
       azcatl, zan huel no iuhqui in icel azcatl.
     when mature, they are also stingers, also venomous, also like the
       red ant, also something like the lone ant.  b.11 c.5 p.90 f.9

37.  auh inic nemi: amo huel icel nemi, zan ololiuhtinemi:
     and thus does it live: it cannot travel alone, but in a swarm.
       b.11 c.5 p.91 f.9

38.  auh amo zan icel in nemi, amo zan centeyetinemi: mochipa onteme
       yetinemi, concahuitinemi in quimimilotinemi.
     and not alone does it go, not only one travels; they always travel
       in twos; they go sharing it as they go rolling it together.  b.11
       c.5 p.93 f.10

39.

40.  zan icel moquetza in iamatlapal
     its leaves are set on only singly.  b.11 c.7 p.155 f.15