"Gay" in Nahuatl?

Tomas Amaya t.amaya at eninfinitum.com
Tue May 6 04:49:47 UTC 2014

Hola Ximena,

Cihuayolotl may mean woman's heart or female heart. In Spanish: corazón de mujer o corazón femenino. Maybe your  teacher referred to “cihuayotl” which means femininity or “what is typical of a woman” (Spanish: femineidad; “lo de la mujer”).

There is another possibility: that your teacher was speaking metaphorically (I do not know if pejoratively or not); if it is the case, the meaning of “cihuayolotl” may be: “the one who being man has the heart of a woman”. Here, we could also make use of the possessive : cihuayoleh (the one who has a female heart).

The example can be extended in Cuetzalan-Nahuat:

“Cihuayoleh” referred to a man “could” mean “homosexual”, but its first meaning is “a sensible man”.  “Oquichyoleh” (“who has a male heart”) “could” mean “lesbian”, but principally: “a strong woman”.

 Saludos/regards

Tomas Amaya