Fwd: publisher's booth

Jeff Good jcgood+ at PITT.EDU
Mon Jul 5 18:28:52 UTC 2004

Hello everyone,

I want to second Steven's concerns. Office hours, as far as I can tell,
tend to get a specialized audience that already, to a certain extent,
knows it's interested in archiving, etc. The publisher's room, on the
other hand, seems to be a place that people just decide to wander around
during free moments--so, we're much more likely to reach people who won't
even know they should know about us.

Also, I'll add, that we can, in fact, do both office hours and the
publisher's booth insofar as Linguist has invited us again to be part of
their office hours. If we have the manpower, I see no reason not to do
both. I also told (hopefully not overstepping any bounds) Linguist/E-MELD
that they could be part of the booth without having to contribute to it. I
think we should still aim for the publisher's room and also think about
Linguist office hours.

If we do want our own office hours, by the way, last year, Linguist came
up with an idea to increase traffic: Pay for an internet connection, throw
a wireless hub on it, and offer to let people check their e-mail for
free if they have a wireless card.

Jeff