IPA-SIL keyboard layout for Mac OSX v. 0.6 (alpha)

Nick Thieberger thien at UNIMELB.EDU.AU
Mon Oct 23 05:42:45 UTC 2006

I think you don't need to use specific IPA fonts anymore, but can use any
Unicode compliant font - Gentium is a good option. You can download it
from the web, and also get Ukelele, a program for assiging keys to
characters for your own needs and then having that all come up as a new
keyboard in your international options. So, instead of a flag in the top
right of your menu bar you will have a keyboard of your own design.

On the mac you can see unicode characters using 'character palette' and
insert them into your work directly, but this is a bit fiddly if you have
lots of IPA entry to do.

You will have to be using a recent version of MS Word to have unicode work
properly and use Toolbox and not Shoebox.

Nick