Toolbox on Mac

Doris Payne dlpayne at UOREGON.EDU
Tue May 18 06:46:10 UTC 2010

I don't know if this is of any help on the Lexique-Pro question (and I don't
use a Mac, and am not a teckie by any stretch of the immagination) - but I
have found that for my Maasai dictionary, an OLDER (2.8.6) version of
Lexique-Pro works.  The newer version (3....) is superbly slow and/or has
some other issue to the point that I am not able to generate a formatted
file using it.

My Maa lexicography database is (I think) reasonably complicated because I
am trying to handle cross-dialect information in it.  It is also over 6MB
(generating a formatted output file of approximately 1200 pages), and
perhaps the size has something to do with the problems? In any case, the
older version works!  The newer one does not.  I don't know wherein the
problems lie (my database, or the newer program).

All of that said, I am supremely impressed with what the (older) Lexique-Pro
version does with my non-standard set of field tags and do not wish to let
that fact go un-noted.

- Doris Payne

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Post [mailto:mark.post at jcu.edu.au]
Sent: Tuesday, May 18, 2010 9:25 AM
To: Felicity Meakins
Cc: Aidan Wilson; r-n-l-d at unimelb.edu.au
Subject: Re: Toolbox on Mac

Hi Felicity et al.,

Many thanks for all these great responses!

Further to Felicity's point here, does anyone know whether it would be
feasible to just go ahead and open the Toolbox .db file (created on a
Mac) in a PC running Lexique Pro? Since most people seem to only use
Lexique Pro for last-stage formatting, rather than data-input, it seems
like this arrangement would work fine. Or are there some sort of
compatibility problems with .db files created on a Mac being opened on a
PC running Lexique Pro (or, for that matter, native-PC Toolbox)?

Thanks again,
Mark