online dictionary

Yvonne Treis Y.Treis at LATROBE.EDU.AU
Tue May 25 01:29:08 UTC 2010

Hi all,

I'd like to produce an online dictionary of an Ethiopian language.

So far my steadily growing lexical data is in a Toolbox file. Which procedures/steps/software do you recommend to create an online dictionary (starting off from a Toolbox lexical database)? Ideally, the dictionary should be searchable via the documented language and via English, streamable sound files should be connected to the head words of each entry and the example sentences, and it should allow for the addition of pictures/photos to some lexical entries.

Does anyone have any advice or experiences to share about the creation of online dictionaries? How did you proceed? Is it possible for a person with only modest technical skills to produce a usable and updatable online dictionary?

Cheers,
Yvonne Treis