USB audio input devices

Naomi Palosaari naomi.palosaari at UTAH.EDU
Tue May 25 13:16:41 UTC 2010

I have heard good reports of the M-Audio USB Pre also (but never tried
it myself).

A cheap USB interface device which does this is the iMic (about
$35USD). I carry one around with me as an emergency tool. In my
experience, it has automatically interfaced with the computer, so I
haven't had to figure out how to add it as a recording/listening
device. It goes from USB to stereo (3.5mm) plug and can be switched
from microphone to speaker/headphone function, and it can also
function to boost speaker output a bit which can be handy if you are
trying to play something and need the speakers just a bit louder.

It has no way adjust input or output directly, so that must be done on
the computer software end or the microphone/speaker end, or both. This
is definitely not the device I would choose if it was my only option
in the field. But it does come in handy for some tasks, and I have
used it for emergency situations to record direct to the computer. And
it also can be useful if you run across a cassette tape which a
community member is not willing to let out of their possession, since
you can use it to digitize from a cassette player (as long as a player
has a headphone jack which is 3.5mm size can be located) directly to
your laptop.

Naomi Palosaari
Center for American Indian Languages
University of Utah