Digital recorders

Bartlomiej Plichta bplichta at live.com
Wed Jun 1 18:18:35 UTC 2011

Thanks for the information on the Zoom. Of course, choosing a recorder is very much a personal decision. There are a lot of intangibles that come into play and having a recorder that one feels confident with is crucial, especially in the field.

In my tests, I am interested primarily in obtaining the cleanest signal that is as rich in spectral detail as possible, for a given microphone-recorder combination. The best "quality" is measured best in spectral analysis rather than by ear. Sure, we can post-process recordings to make them sound great, but we sacrifice a lot of precious detail in the process. Such techniques are perfect for broadcast, but less desirable, I argue, for language preservation.

Getting the optimal microphone-recorder combination is crucial. In the field, we are constrained by size, weight, and battery requirements. We want the equipment to work reliably and simply. My personal preference for a simple field recording setup is the Sony PCM-M10 recorder (fantastic battery life, excellent pre-amps) and a matched small-capsule, omnidirectional condenser microphone, wired for "plug-in" power, or with a dedicated in-line power supply. With proper technique, for about $400 US total, you can get a kit that will rival the best laboratory recordings.

I also recommend microphones that can be used either in a head-mounted or a lavaliere configuration. Some manufacturers make lavs and head-mounted mics based on the same capsule. That's the best option, in my opinion, as you will get consistent acoustics across your corpus. I have a lot of information about that on my website. Some of the best lav/headset options are by Sanken, Audio-Technica, Beyerdynamic, and Sennheiser. Sanken would be my choice for field use, due to its resistance to moisture and temperature, and excellent protection against handling noise. The COS11-D is the capsule I reviewed. Recently, the released the head-mounted version of it. The problem is, it's expensive.

So if you'd rather have a cheaper option, without sacrificing too much quality, there is a small company in the US called Microphone Madness. Mike, the engineer there, will make a pair of mics for you for about $100 each, and they will be wired to work perfectly with "plug-in" power. He has worked with linguists in the past. This will make a no-fuss kit.

Finally, for a really cheap kit, consider the Audio-Technica ATR 3350. It is a $20 microphone with really decent acoustics, a 3-meter cord, and inline power supply. It will work well with most plug-in power recorders, even the cheapest Zoom and Tascam models. It may not withstand the harsh conditions of field use, but it is a nice piece of gear for the price.

Here are some links that you might find helpful:
Sanken COS-11D, my review:
http://bartus.org/akustyk/COS11D

Microphone Madness:
http://microphonemadness.com/