[RNLD] More on links between publications and sound corpora: your citation methods?

Andrea L. Berez andrea.berez at GMAIL.COM
Thu Mar 7 20:58:34 UTC 2013

Hi all,

Steffen's original question on how to link publications to sound corpora is
similar to an article I'm working on with my student Tyler Heston. We're
surveying a few hundred descriptive articles, grammars, theses from the
last ten years to collect current practices for citing in-text examples
back to the original recording or notebook from which the examples came.

It seems that there is a continuum of methods ranging from no citation, to
reference to a personal system of tracking files within one's private
collection, to referencing archived files with a permanent handle including
timecodes, and everything in between.

I'm curious how members of this list approach citation of examples for
which you have primary recordings. How do you do it? Any thoughts on the
implications of providing this information to readers? Any experience with
[non]cooperative editors?

Thanks,
Andrea

--
Andrea L. Berez
Assistant Professor, Department of Linguistics