: [RNLD] Links between publication and sound corpus

Ruth Singer ruth.singer at GMAIL.COM
Fri Mar 8 04:02:24 UTC 2013

Hi Steffen and others,

So we've got the technological know-how and we've got archives that
will store these sound files in a way that we can link to. The problem
is how to publish documents with linked audio files in way that will
receive the same academic recognition as a print publication without
linked audio. Mouton de Gruyter has gone backwards in their policy
regards audio files. The latest information I received is that they
will not include CDs in their linguistics books or host audio files
without obtaining intellectual property over the sound files.

I am interested in publishing descriptive work on an endangered
language with linked audio files. At the moment I'm hoping that the
OALI initiative will produce academically recognised way to publish
this:
http://hpsg.fu-berlin.de/OALI/

Here's a bit pasted from their website:
OALI is an Open Ac­cess ini­tia­tive of Ste­fan Müller (and other
lin­guists at FU Berlin) and Mar­tin Haspel­math that was start­ed in
Au­gust 2012 and quick­ly found many promi­nent sup­port­ers (more
than 100 by now). Please refer to back­ground and mo­ti­va­tion to
learn more about the se­ri­ous prob­lems that we see with the
tra­di­tion­al prac­tice of book pub­li­ca­tion in our field. An
ex­tend­ed ver­sion of this doc­u­ment in­clud­ing de­tailed num­bers
and case stud­ies can be found in Müller, 2012.
Our pro­posed so­lu­tion is open-ac­cess pub­li­ca­tion in which the
(freely avail­able) elec­tron­ic book is the pri­ma­ry en­ti­ty.
Print­ed copies are avail­able through print-on-de­mand ser­vices.
We are plan­ning to set up a pub­li­ca­tion unit at the FU Berlin,
co­or­di­nat­ed by Ste­fan Müller and Mar­tin Haspel­math, that
pub­lish­es high-qual­i­ty book-length work from any sub­field of
lin­guis­tics.

Cheers,

Ruth

--