[RNLD] Import .wav into .mp4?

Mark W. Post markwpost at GMAIL.COM
Wed Mar 13 14:16:40 UTC 2013

Hi All -

I've been trying to figure out something which I feel *should* be pretty
straightforward for quite some time now, but can't seem to find an ideal
solution. Advance apologies if this is old hat.

I'd like to import a .wav file into an .mp4 container, ideally without
using a big expensive program like Final Cut or Premiere. So, according
to my poor understanding of things, an .mp4 contains an MPEG-4 video
stream and a PCM audio stream. What I would like to be able to do is
disassociate the audio stream, import a distinct .wav file, sync up the
two streams audio-visually (i.e., with a clap), and export a new .mp4
file. And, to make it even more interesting, I would like to know how to
do this on both a Mac and a PC. So, the situation I have in mind is when
someone has a good HD camcorder with terrible audio, but a good separate
audio recorder, and needed one resulting file (e.g. to import into
ELAN). I realize that ELAN also has the ability to sync multiple
streams, but I'd like to know how to create a stand-alone container file.

Many thanks in advance for any help!

Cheers
Mark

--