[RNLD] Field equipment

Joe Blythe blythe.joe at gmail.com
Sat Nov 21 23:44:21 UTC 2015

Hi All,
Here are my two cents worth:
The Zoom Q8!!!!
It’s a small 4track recorder with two XLR inputs, in built crossed mikes, sound great. Seemingly this is a a great audio recorder.

However, it also has High definition video, a built in wide angle lens, and is compact enough to get in real close to whoever you are recording, and is thus minimally obtrusive.
And it’s pretty cheap.

The Canon mini-Legria is also another very compact flat video recorder/audio recorder. It also sounds great but I think the Zoom beats it, marginally, for sound.

So even if you interested only in the audio stream, if you can cope with the extra storage requirements, it seems silly to not be collecting meaningful information from visual cues (gesture, facial expressions, lip moments, eye gaze, etc.) when you can basically this extra information for free, given that the price of a zoom Q8 is in the same ball park as a a Zoom H6.
And the Zoom Q8 works (I think) as as an audio only recorder.
Cheers
Joe