[RNLD] Suggestions for simple recording devices for community members in a new MAP pilot project

Julia Sallabank js72 at soas.ac.uk
Tue Aug 21 07:39:52 EDT 2018

Dear Heather

I've used the Zoom H2N with community members, together with very
simplified instructions, but they still had problems with it. The easiest
thing would be to use the record or video function on mobile phones. I know
there are other communities using mobile phones for language documentation,
and phones also have the advantage of being familiar and thus intruding
less on the conversation. I know that the recording quality is mp3 not
.wav, but for language learning and MAP purposes that should not be a
problem. I would also recommend not recording at all for the first
meetings, to put people at their ease.

Good luck!

Julia

--
Dr. Julia Sallabank
Reader in Language Policy and Revitalisation, School of Languages, Cultures

Tel. +44 (0)20 7898 4326