[RNLD] applied linguistics and documentation/description projects

Mark W. Post markwpost at gmail.com
Sun Jul 8 07:57:09 EDT 2018

Hello RNLD-ers,

There has been some discussion about coordination of efforts among
applied and descriptive linguists in documentation projects that are
envisioned as having a potential maintenance/revitalization component
(e.g. Anderson 2011, Hildebrandt 2018), with a view toward improving
potential maintenance/revitalization outcomes for languages/communities.
I was wondering how much this has actually started happening in
practice, and if so what the experiences/outcomes have been like.

Could anyone point to some examples of past or current projects
involving in-principle-distinct "applied" and "documentary/descriptive"
components, ideally with multiple personnel associated to these
different components, ideally also with some associated literature (or
websites, reports, blog posts, whatever)? What I'm mainly interested in
here is the multi-linguist collaboration dynamic, but if there are other
relevant case studies, I'm be interested in learning about them too.

If there is a significant response off-list, I'll post a summary.

Many thanks in advance,
Mark

Mark W. Post | Lecturer in Linguistics
The University of Sydney
Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences

Room N367, John Woolley Building A20, Science Road | The University of
Sydney | NSW | 2006 | AUSTRALIA
+61 2 8627 6854 (ofc)  | +61 4 5527 0776 (mob)
mark.post at sydney.edu.au  | http://sydney.edu.au | http://sydney.academia.edu/MarkWPost