Cambodian [Khmer]: Huffman's manual on-line?

Doug Cooper doug at th.net
Thu Nov 6 08:02:42 UTC 2003

Dear E:
Re _Cambodian System of Writing_, if you will scan the book
cover to cover, I'll DjVu it and put it on line.  Please scan at 300 DPI.
B&W TIFF 4 (fax) format will probably be faster and smaller for you
than gray-scale, but please make every effort to set the black/white
point for clearest images (and keep the pages straight).  Thank you
for volunteering ;-).

  Re Pali in Khmer:  the page at
http://homepage1.nifty.com/sojusha/newpage4.htm
contains many references under the heading "Other Books of Pali
or Khmer Studies."  There is also an on-line Pali-Khmer dictionary at:
http://www.cambodiaportal.com/palikhmerdictionary/index.php?Language=US

It appears to require the font "Preah Vihear.ttf" which can be obtained
(along with many others) from:
http://www.ratanaca.net/download/font/khmer-ttf-fonts/

  Both the Jacobs and Headley 1977 dictionaries have extensive
Pali and Sanskrit references.  Headley 77 has been retypeset and
is widely available in Phnom Penh; a few editions even mention the
author.  I recall Headley mentioning a few years back that the new
1997 edition has fewer etymological notes.  I cannot find a copy of
this edition in Thailand or Cambodia, btw - if anybody has any clues
I'd be happy to hear them.

   The widely-cited 1916 Chuon Nath Khmer-Khmer dictionary would
probably also be helpful.  It has been reprinted by a Japanese firm,
and Maurice Bauhahn (bauhahnm at clara.net) refers to a digitized
Unicode version; I've written him asking if it's available anywhere.  One
of the Unicode documents also refers to an IKWS version from Open
Forum (info at forum.org.kh); I've also written to them but as yet no response.

  Good luck,
  Doug Cooper

----- Original Message ----- From: "navako" <Navako at metta.lk>