VCR's and Russia

Dwight Vesty Dwight_Vesty at macstand.com
Tue Mar 7 04:12:39 UTC 1995

>>I've been asked to bring a VCR from the US to Russia.  Does anyone
>>know about the compatibility issues involved?  I assume I need one
>>that runs on 220V, but I know nothing about the picture format
>>issues (PAL v. SESCAM ???)
-------------------------------
Dear Justin,

Generally speaking, TV's in Russia are able to switch back and forth between PAL
(their home VCR format) and SECAM (the broadcast format).  Here in the U.S. we
use NTSC.  You will need to have a VCR, monitor and videotape *all* in the same
format.  From your message I cannot tell if you are hoping to playback US or
Russian tapes, or both.  There are VCR/monitor units available that are
NTSC/PAL/SECAM switchable.  Voltage converters, if needed, are available at
Radio Shack for about $40.

Also, videotapes can be transferred from one format to another while you're here
in the U.S..  The conversion unit will cost you about $1700, or you can have a
studio make the transfer at between $30-$60/hour.

If I can de-mystify what I've just said, youUre welcome to send me an e-mail.

--Dwight     Dwight_Vesty at macstand.com

Mac's Last Stand, 13 Gigs, (12) 28.8 lines 716-346-5555