Sorter for Cyrillic II Pala font--help!

L.C.J. Jacobson lcj+ at pitt.edu
Sat Apr 20 02:37:15 UTC 1996

As I have been asked this question numerous times via private e-mail, I
will answer to the list in the hopes that a custom sorting utility will
be of interest to others.

> I'm using the Cyrillic II Pala (bilingual Eng/Russ, translit) font from
> Linguists' Software, with MacWrite Pro on a Mac, to write a Russian grammar
> text. It's taking forever to sort the glossaries for each chapter by hand
> (there are 40 chapters) & at the end I'm going to have a big glossary, so I
> need to find something that will allow me to alphabetize my Russian font.

The solution to your problem can be found at large Mac shareware archive,
such as the MIT Hyperarchive at
<http://hyperarchive.lcs.mit.edu/HyperArchive.html>.  Drop by and pick up
a copy of the file "u-tile-plus-304.hqx".  To quote from the abstract:

 "U-Tile+", version 3.0.4, is a text-editor and list-editor with a wide
  variety of features, including user-configurable alphabet definition,
  thus controlling the definition of words and their sorting order.

You will need to configure this editor to use your particular font, which
doesn't seem too difficult.  After that, you can copy out your word lists
from MacWrite Pro ot U-Tile+, let the latter application sort them, and
then bring the sorted lists back into MacWrite Pro.

In return for saving you hours and hours of tedious work, the creator of
U-Tile+ requests that you send him $25 CDN.  It seems like a very good
deal to me.

-jake