computer-taught Russian

Emil Draitser edraitse at shiva.Hunter.CUNY.EDU
Sat Feb 17 02:37:14 UTC 1996

Dear SEELANGers:

In order to offer to those of our working students who cannot make the hours
of our
beginning Russian classes and to those who prefer individual instructions
over a class room situation, we, at Hunter, thinking of offering a
computer-based, self-paced, facullty-supervised (?) course in Russian.
Ideally, we would love to
find a computer program (preferably, on regular disquettes, since very few
of our students could afford a computer with CD-ROm and the school has
only a few of them) that, step by step, in a clearly identified staged
(for grading purposes), would take a student from zero level through the
first year of Russian (within the scope of, for instance, Clark's textbook).
After each step, the student would be offered to take a short quiz which
would give him and the teacher an idea about how well he progresses in
his study.
 Questions: 1) did anybody in profession tried this approach? If yes,
                what was the result?
        2) which of several programs on the market proved to be most
convenient for such a task?
        I heard that some colleges tried this approach but was unsuccessful to
locate them. Please help.

        Thank you in advance.

Emil Draitser,
Hunter College of CUNY