Transparent Language survey

Marlene S Johnshoy johns484 at maroon.tc.umn.edu
Mon Feb 19 13:30:18 UTC 1996

On Fri, 16 Feb 1996, Lisa Frumkes wrote:

> Here is my summary:  this CD-ROM seems to be what is referred to in the
> profession as "vaporware."

No - it actually DOES exist!  We finally got our copy, but it is missing
some of the special "educator" features that were advertised originally
when we ordered it - I understand that that has been the cause for the
delay.  One of our Russian professors got his last summer, but he did not
order the "educator version"...

Briefly, Transparent Language is a text annotation program, where you see
a number of different windows on your screen, one of which has the text in
it.  Any word you click on will have different annotations in each of the
other windows - a translation of the word, the phrase it is in, the part
of speech it is, etc.  Now in the newer CD-Rom versions of the program,
you can also ask to hear the word or phrase and then record your own voice
and see the comparison with the native speaker version on a sound graph.
Version 4.0 also comes with some sort of link to an additional grammar
program, which I have not had time to explore.

Marlene