Derivation of the Word "Zhid" in Slavic Languages

Katja Benevol Gabrijelcic katja.benevol at klub.pasadena.si
Mon Aug 17 14:03:04 UTC 1998

Hello!

Sorry about etimology, the word "zhid" isn't written in my
version of Slovenian etimology dictionary. Will inquire
further. It cannot differ much from the Czech.

>   2) In which languages the word has taken on
> negative, inflammatory
>      connotations.

The second meaning in the Slovenian monolingual dictionary
says: miser, usurer - he became a real usurer; in literature
there is also the meaning "the eternal zhid" - a person that
doesn't find peace in one place.
As far as I know, today the word completely lost the
negative connotation, you only find it in literature.

>   3) In the case that the word has taken negative
> connotations in a given
>      language, I would like to know when this
> occurred and how/why.

IMHO: it probably occured in the second half of 19th
century, when arrived "zhids" with money and bult pubs and
taverns in villages, goldsmith's shops in cities. They were
powerful and - compared to the natives - rich: they could
lend money for high interests etc.

HTH, Katja

Katja Benevol Gabrijelcic
mailto:katja.benevol at klub.pasadena.si