Reading and Speaking vs. Listening

Benjamin Rifkin brifkin at facstaff.wisc.edu
Thu Oct 22 15:21:18 UTC 1998

With respect to data on American students' listening, reading, speaking and
writing proficiency in Russian, I recommend Irene Thompson's article,
"Assessing Foreign Language Skills:  Data from Russian," which appeared in
the Modern Language Journal 80, i (1996) on pp. 46-65.

Ben Rifkin

At 09:39 AM 10/22/98 -0400, Irina Ustinova wrote:
>Dear colleagues:
>
>I also love listening comprehension exercises, using Russian radio and
>television. As a supplement to "Political Russian" manual by R. Robin  I use
>some  Web sites:www.rferl.org/bd/ru/index.html and www.101.ru/live.html, as
>well as program "Vremya" clips. It's difficult to generalize but I found out
>that many American students are much more anvanced in reading and even
>speaking skills than in understanding oral speech of native Russians.
>
>Sincerely,
>
>Irena Ustinova

////////////////////////////////////////

Benjamin Rifkin

Associate Professor of Slavic Languages
Coordinator of Russian-Language Instruction

Department of Slavic Languages & Literatures
University of Wisconsin-Madison
1432 Van Hise Hall, 1220 Linden Dr.
Madison, WI  53706  USA

voice:  608/262-1623