REESWeb: new address + functionality

Karen A Rondestvedt rondest+ at pitt.edu
Thu Oct 22 16:12:11 UTC 1998

The University of Pittsburgh's popular REESWeb: Russian and East European
Studies Internet Resources site has moved. The new address is:

        http://www.ucis.pitt.edu/reesweb/

The new site features a powerful search engine, which indexes not
only of the contents of REESWeb itself, but also the sites that REESWeb
links to and their links (3 levels total), and lists the results in
relevance-ranked order.

As you will notice when you use the search engine, it is not perfect,
although it does work quite well. We decided that it would be better to
make the new site available now rather than waiting several more months
for all possible improvements to be made. We hope you agree with this
decision.

When using the search engine, simply type in relevant words and click the
Search button. If your query produces too many hits, make it more precise
and try again. If you retrieve entries containing garbage, you've probably
gotten some sites in Cyrillic: change the encoding you're viewing on your
browser. In general, experiment. We have no instructions available for you
at this time, although we may in the future.

Please have mercy on us and don't send Mark or me complaints or questions
about particular searches.  REESWeb receives thousands of hits per day
and we won't have time to read them, to let alone answer.

Happy searching,

Karen

-*-  Karen Rondestvedt                         G-20X Hillman Library
-*-  Slavic Bibliographer                      University of Pittsburgh
-*-  University of Pittsburgh Library System   Pittsburgh, PA 15260
-*-  rondest+ at pitt.edu                         tel: (412) 648-7791
-*-  Web: http://www.pitt.edu/~rondest/        fax: (412) 648-7798