Russian textbook recommendation??

Alyssa Dinega anyad at mailcity.com
Thu Oct 22 17:39:50 UTC 1998

---
I may be teaching Beginning and Advanced Beginning Russian in a continuing
 education program this spring and was wondering if anyone can recommend an
 appropriate textbook.  The classes will be very "watered down," will meet just
 once a week for two hours, and there is no testing or grading.  Large amounts
 of homework are also discouraged.  Something with a very practical approach to
 vocabulary and conversation, as well as an interesting cultural component,
 would be perfect.  Some of the students may be scientists who are collaborating
 with Russian research labs and traveling to Russia periodically.

There is also the additional requirement that the book should not be too
 expensive, preferably in the $30-35 range.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions anyone can make.

Sincerely,
Alyssa Dinega