tutors in Gdynia, Poland

Michelle L. Szabo mlszabo at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 20 15:08:10 UTC 1999

Dear SEELANGers

First of all, thanks to everyone who responded to my request for info on
Nizhny Novgorod. It has been a great help.

Now I have another request for help, this time not for me. I have a friend
working with middle school-aged kids in Gdynia, Poland. He went to Poland
about 4 years ago with no Polish language training (he had good reading
knowledge of Russian, though). He says his language skills now are such that
he can have parent-teacher conferences in Polish (though he teaches in
English), but he knows he needs a little help. He's tried 4 times to hire a
private tutor, but hasn't been happy with the "method", which apparently has
consisted mainly of grammar exercises. Grammar exercises may be what he
needs, but they aren't what he wants. Does anyone out there have any
contacts in Gdynia who have experience teaching non-native speakers of
Polish who are already speaking "fluently"? Any suggestions for texts that
would help him would be appreciated, as well.

Please respond off-list so as not to burden the others. I hope everyone is
enjoying the last few vestiges of summer. And again, thanks.

Michelle Szabo
mlszabo at hotmail.com