Apple Cyrillic fonts and Microsoft Office 98

George Fowler gfowler at indiana.edu
Thu Mar 11 21:34:46 UTC 1999

Greetings!

> The Apple Standard Cyrillic fonts together with George Fowler's
> Cyrillic keyboards work fine with Microsoft Office 95 on my computer
> (running OS 8.1), but when I installed these on the new Macs in our
> departmental lab, I can't get the cyrillic to work with the 1998
> version of Microsoft Word. The font names show up in cyrillic on the
> font menu, but when you try to select one of them nothing happens.
> However, if you type something in another font, highlight it and then
> select one of the cyrillic fonts it *does* work, but then if you
> position the cursor somewhere in the word and attempt to type, the font
> for the whole word switches back to the default setting. I tried
> changing the default font to cyrillic and that doesn't work either. Has
> anyone else encountered this problem? Any ideas?

I do not have this problem in Word 98. I suspect it has something to
do with the keyboard being linked to the font. (The same thing
happens in Word Perfect 3.5/Mac, where keyboard and font are linked.)
My keyboard GF Cyrillic CAPS has an ID number which does not match
what the OS expects for a Cyrillic font, and the result can be that
selecting that keyboard deselects any standard font. This is
frustrating, and there is some built-in way to fix it. However, I
just opened Word 98 and couldn't find the solution. I tried
Tools/Language and Tools/Preferences/various tabs, but didn't see it.
If some SEELangs reader knows the answer, please post it!

BTW, there is a bug with Word98 (acknowledged by MS, miracle of
miracles; but not corrected [yet]) which renders lower-case Cyrillic
"zh" (ascii 230, I believe this is uppercase E-circumflex from French
in standard Western fonts) a blank space IF you have checked the box
for displaying spaces as a tiny dot in Preferences/View. It is really
frustrating to run into this problem!

George Fowler
George Fowler                                [Email] gfowler at indiana.edu
Dept. of Slavic Languages        [dept. tel.] 1-812-855-9906/-2608/-2624
Ballantine 502                                [dept. fax] 1-812-855-2107
1020 E. Kirkwood Ave.               [home tel./fax] 1-317-726-1482/-1642
Indiana University               [Slavica tel./fax] 1-812-856-4186/-4187
Bloomington, IN 47405-7103 USA         [Slavica toll-free] 1-877-SLAVICA