Apple Cyrillic fonts and Microsoft Office 98

Robert DeLossa rdelossa at fas.harvard.edu
Thu Mar 11 21:37:03 UTC 1999

Do you have Cyrillic support installed on your lab machines? It could be
that you do not have the correct keyboards/support for the font switching.
I have exactly what you describe ('98, system 8.1), with Cyrillic, Hebrew,
and Arabic support; Word '98 senses all three and switches correctly (with
the problem of a character that doesn't display, as I indicated in an
earlier post).

Robert DeLossa

>-----------------------
>Sender:       "SEELangs: Slavic & E. European Languages & literatures list"
>              <SEELANGS at CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
>Poster:       Keith Langston <langston at arches.uga.edu>
>Subject:      Apple Cyrillic fonts and Microsoft Office 98
>
>Dear Seelangers,
>
>The Apple Standard Cyrillic fonts together with George Fowler's
>Cyrillic keyboards work fine with Microsoft Office 95 on my computer
>(running OS 8.1), but when I installed these on the new Macs in our
>departmental lab, I can't get the cyrillic to work with the 1998
>version of Microsoft Word. The font names show up in cyrillic on the
>font menu, but when you try to select one of them nothing happens.
>However, if you type something in another font, highlight it and then
>select one of the cyrillic fonts it *does* work, but then if you
>position the cursor somewhere in the word and attempt to type, the font
>for the whole word switches back to the default setting. I tried
>changing the default font to cyrillic and that doesn't work either. Has
>anyone else encountered this problem? Any ideas?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Keith
>
>******************************
>Keith Langston
>University of Georgia
>Germanic and Slavic Languages
>Athens, GA 30602
>(706) 542-2448

Robert DeLossa
Director of Publications
Ukrainian Research Institute, Harvard University
1583 Massachusetts Ave., Cambridge, MA 02138
617-496-8768; fax. 617-495-8097
reply to: rdelossa at fas.harvard.edu
http://www.sabre.org/huri