Russian "Verbal Fillers"?

Udut, Kenneth kenneth.udut at spcorp.com
Tue Sep 14 14:49:20 UTC 1999

Hello again, SEELANGers!

I'm sure you are all quite busy with the new academic year,
but I hope that you could, perhaps, answer a question of mine:

What would be some "verbal fillers" in Russian?

For example, in English, we have phrases like
"You know", "like", "but that's how it goes", "so they say",
"and so on", "etc", etc.

I'd be very interested in a list of these.  I have a few lists
of clauses (adjective clauses, noun clauses, etc, all
nicely categorized), which is helping me quite a bit in
learning to 'fill things in", connect ideas together...

...but I'm looking for those 'nonsense' things that
are not strictly necessary in communication, but
which are quite real and authentic, and help give
the speaker (me in this case) a moment to think
furthur - just as I use such phrases in English.

Any help possible here?

           Kenneth Udut
Kenneth.Udut at SPCORP.COM
"Voistinu CHelovek