Translation problem

Michael Trittipo tritt002 at maroon.tc.umn.edu
Fri Sep 24 03:23:02 UTC 1999

At 16:09 1999/09/23 +0100, Geoffrey Chew wrote:
> . . . please help in the translation of two (to me) problematic
>prepositional phrases . . .  the phrases I don't understand are "po s^as^u"

I'll try to help with one tonight.

>6:
>Fojtova Hanka hledal/a Janka po s^as^u;
>a jak ho nas^l/a, dal/a mu masl/a na kas^u.

It looks to me as though it follows the pattern
po klukovsku = in a boyish way or manner
po svem = in my/one's own way [preferably, "I'm always true to you darling
in my fashion, yes I'm always true to you darling in my way," not Sinatra;
but I'm not doctrinaire :-) ]
po sousedsku = as neighbours do, like a neighbor would
po nasemu = the way we do it
po pravu = as of right
po dobrem = a l'amiable (in a friendly way, nicely)
oblecena po venkovsku = habillee en paysanne (dressed like a countrywoman)
zmizet po anglicku = take leave the way the . . . hmmm, as the French do
but with "s^as^."

Michael Trittipo
Minneapolis, Minnesota
mailto:tritt002 at tc.umn.edu