SEEJ Transliteration Preference

Udut, Kenneth kenneth.udut at spcorp.com
Wed Sep 29 12:57:56 UTC 1999

Hello Tsuji!

I've done that - transliterated English using Cyrillic characters,
using the KOI-7 "emergency" font mentioned on this list a few weeks
back.  i made some changes to make it easier for myself - but
I did this, to help in reading Russian more quickly.

It 'clicked' in on me:

Latin characters are used for quite a number of languages, not
just English.

Cyrillic characters are used for quite a number of languages,
not just Russian.

So why should I associate Cyrillic *only* with Russian?  There's
really no reason to.

I've found that doing this, transliterating English into
Cyrillic characters, and reading aloud the results, using
Russian pronounciation, has helped me in reading Russian
much more quickly, and is helping me get over this
'mental block' (especially when I come across certain
letters which would always stop me in my tracks)

           Kenneth Udut
Kenneth.Udut at SPCORP.COM
"Voistinu CHelovek
`Etot byl Syn Bozhij!'"