russian amazon.com

E.R. alesta at PHOENIXDSL.COM
Mon Sep 25 13:35:42 UTC 2000

FYI:

>There is also Ozon, a Russian bookstore.  I don't know too
> much about them, but they are fairly successful in Russia and use
> Cyberplat, a credit card defense system, so your credit card should
> be okay - www.ozon.ru.  I'm pretty sure they are willing to ship
> abraod.

I had an unpleasant experience with Ozon.Ru about a year ago.  Two months
after placing the order I was informed that the items were finally ready to
be shipped.  Around the same time Ozon also stated that in order to comply
with Russia's postal size & weight regulations they had to split my order
into 4 packages - an action that resulted in final shipping costs exceeding
the cost of the books themselves.  I cancelled the order, but Ozon refused
to process a refund to my credit card, which they charged as soon as the
order was placed.  I didn't get the credit until about 6 months later,
after following dispute procedures with the credit card company.  Several
of my acquintances have had to wait for 2-3 months to get their orders.
Needless to say, I advise against Ozon.

Kniga.Com is good when in quest for recent releases (these days they even
feature excerpts, however typos-ridden they may be...), and they're willing
to search their stock rooms for hard-to-find items.

I haven't dealt with the following online but know they exist:

Dom Knigi
http://www.domknigi.com//default.asp?

St. Petersburg Publishing House
http://www.st-p.com/