a question about non-standard Russian

Alina Israeli aisrael at AMERICAN.EDU
Thu Apr 12 11:51:14 UTC 2001

>Hello,
>  I wonder if someone on this list will help me
>regarding vernacular Russian.
>  I am currently engaged in editing stenogrammes, recorded
>at a workers' meeting that took place in Petrograd in January 1918,
>and have come across several cases of a redundant pronoun in the
>nominative case:
>     Takoj obshirnyj gromadnyj apparat on dolzhen byl imet' trenija,..
>
>     Eti organizacii, kotoryja rodilis' pri byvshem uzhe otchasti
>       kapitalisticheskom stroe, one v pervuju ochered' postavili
>       svoej zadachej ob"edinenie rachochikh sil, konechno, v
>       bor'be za uluchshenie svoego ekonomicheskago polozhenija.
>
>I looked in the grammar book wondering if there were explanations,
>but no reference at all. I am familiar with this kind of redundant
>pronoun in English on the British Isles and have a preconception
>that this truly records what the speaker actually said.
> Any pointers to good reference books are welcome. Thanks.

O.B.Sirotinina in "Sovremennaja razgovornaja rech' i ee osobennosti"
(Moscow, Prosveshchenie 1974) discusses the pleonastic use of pronouns on
p. 112.

Best,
Alina

Alina Israeli
LFS, American University                phone:  (202) 885-2387
4400 Mass. Ave., NW                     fax:    (202) 885-1076
Washington, DC 20016

aisrael at american.edu