MSWord 2000

James Partridge james.partridge at ST-EDMUND-HALL.OXFORD.AC.UK
Wed Mar 14 16:26:41 UTC 2001

It's interesting that you consider this an advantage. This feature, known as
the "Single Document Interface", has proved so overwhelmingly unpopular that
Miscrosoft have done something they rarely do and removed it for the new
version of Office (Office XP) that is currently looming, returning to the
"Multiple Document Interface" of all the earlier versions of Word.
That said, I think Word 2000 is an excellent program and we use it
throughout the college (and it is pretty much the standard WP program across
the university as far as I know). It handles languages excellently,
including proofing (if you have the relevant proofing tools installed). It
does a very good job of converting from different file formats. If you
really want to see Word 2000 working at its best with languages
(particularly the more "obscure" ones) you should run it on Windows 2000, as
that has the best language support of any Microsoft OS, but it still works
very well with Windows 9x and NT.
There are always niggles, of course, but personally I wouldn't use anything
else.

James

James Partridge
St Edmund Hall